**NEW** Buncombe 4-H Dog Project
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
We are incredibly excited to be able to offer a NEW 4-H Project in Buncombe County this summer….our 4-H Dog Project!!!
This is an 8-week basic obedience training for youth and their dogs in Buncombe County. Although this program is centered around training for your dog, we will also focus on “growing” the 4-Her. “4-H Grows Here” is a phrase we use in the 4-H world and we hope to incorporate it into this program as well. While your dog will be learning basic commands, we will also be focusing on life skills for our youth participants such as responsibility, resiliency, empathy, patience, confidence, and more.
Thanks to a special 4-H alumni/volunteer and local dog trainer, O’Neal Scott, we are able to bring this special program to our young people in the county. She started her career as a result of participating in a 4-H Dog Program as a young person and wants to share her passion for dog care, training, and learning with our local 4-Hers.
Please check out the basic details below and register at the link below.
WHO: Any youth in Buncombe County ages 8-18
WHEN: Thursdays from 4:00-5:30 p.m. starting June 1st
LOCATION: Spring Mountain Community Center (807 Old Fort Road, Fairview, NC 28730
COST: $150 (Please contact Holly Jordan if you need financial assistance for this program)
REGISTRATION DUE: Monday, May 29th
**DOG REQUIREMENTS**: Dogs must be 4 months of age or older; must be up to date on rabies, parvo, and distemper vaccinations
- This is a beginner level/basic obedience training. We welcome and encourage participation of any youth/dog pairs with ANY level of training. Please don’t hesitate if your dog has not had any training whatsoever.
- We ask that a parent or responsible adult is at and involved in each training. This will help us ensure that we have appropriate supervision and extra help if needed.
- Cell phones should be off or left in cars during the trainings. This is a special time to really focus on your dog and we don’t want any distractions if possible.
- This program is for a 4-H member/dog combination, meaning siblings cannot fill in for the youth participant. The trainings will focus on building the relationship between the youth and dog, so no substitutions or replacements will be possible.
- Our priority is to ensure a positive environment that is safe for all dogs, youth, and parents who are in attendance. All participants must be able to ensure their dog as well as themselves can step into a dog training environment in a harmonious way.
- Each week of training will build off the previous week’s lessons. It’s essential that participants not miss a training session except for urgent matters.
We will be holding a special Zoom Q&A session on Wednesday, May 24th at 5:00 p.m. to share more details with anyone who is interested in the program and answer any questions your might have. Please contact Holly Jordan, Buncombe 4-H Agent, at 828-255-5522 to receive the Zoom link or if you have any questions.