Sandy Mush 4-H Shooting Sports Team is Nationally Recognized
The 2018 4th quarter NRA Traditions Magazine has been posted and we are excited to share that the Sandy Mush 4-H Shooting Sports Team of Buncombe County made the cut! Check out pages 26 and 27 to see all of the awesome things the 4-H club members and volunteers do for their community and through the 4-H Target Shooting Sports program.
The 4-H Target Shooting Sports Program has always been strong in Buncombe County due to the great volunteers, members, and families we have. 4-H Shooting Sports is a tool to:
- teach decision making, teamwork, self-discipline, self-confidence, and problem-solving;
- promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, and ethical behavior;
- encourage an appreciation and understanding of natural resources;
- develop leadership abilities;
- build character and willingness to assume citizenship responsibility;
- furnish enjoyable, positive relationships with peers and adult instructors;
- strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities;
- build awareness of related career opportunities.
4-H Target Shooting Sports is Something for Everyone
The Shooting Sports curriculum uses the resources of the land-grant university and the time, talent, and dedication of Cooperative Extension Service agents and certified 4-H leaders, instructors, and trainers who instruct 4-H members in firearms safety and marksmanship. The shooting disciplines include archery, muzzle loading, pistol, rifle, shotgun, and hunting. Each discipline is taught by a National or State Certified Instructor.
4-H members have opportunities to test their shooting, hunting, and sportsmanship skills in county, regional, state, and national competitions. In fact, they could ultimately set Olympic competition as their goal. There are seventeen Olympic shooting sports events, which continue to draw the third-greatest number of countries.
If you have questions about the Buncombe County 4-H Program or would like to become involved with our activities, please contact Holly Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-255-5522 for more information.