NC 4-H Photography Contest 2020
Find this article at:
ANNOUNCING the 2020 NC 4-H Photography Contest which is open to NC 4-H’ers ages 8-18 (as of January 1).
Here is information about the criteria the judges use when choosing the winners of this contest.
- Relevancy to Category Topic – Is the photo an obvious illustration of the category in which it is entered? If the picture doesn’t tell us, does the information on the entry form make it clear how the subject fits the category?
- Composition/Arrangement – Are the objects in the photo arranged in a meaningful, pleasing manner or are they haphazard? Did the photographer use the best angle or otherwise interesting perspective?
- Focus / Sharpness – Is the object of the photo in focus? If not in sharp focus, does it appear to be an intentional effect to enhance the image in some artistic way?
- Lighting – Did the photographer use proper lighting of the subject matter? Do any extremes of darkness or brightness lend to or detract from the image content?
- Creativity – Does the photographer show some creative thought or original idea in the making of this image? Is the subject something unusual or is the content of the photo presented in a way we haven’t seen before?
Categories for the 2020 Contest:
- 4-H in Action: We’re looking for pictures that show us what happens at 4-H events throughout the year. The key to winning this category is the action. We want to SEE what’s happening. If it’s a judging contest, we want to feel like we’re right in the middle of the action. If it’s meeting with legislators, then we want to feel like we’re so close we could shake that person’s hand. In other words, we want the photographer to get in close and show us what really happens when 4-H’ers get together for an event or activity.
- Nature’s Beauty: Nature’s Beauty is always our biggest category. We had close to 100 entries last year in this category alone, so competition is fierce. Winners in this category are ultimately chosen because they exhibit superior technical skill, move in close to the subject and capture something really different. Some show beautiful things such as sunsets and ﬂowers. Others create beauty from something unexpected (mushrooms, a turtle having a snack, a dragonﬂy with torn wings.) All contain strong composition, nice light and sharp focus on the subject.
- Pets in Action: Pet photography is big business! Use your ace photography skills to capture your pet (or someone’s) in action! Whether it’s at home or elsewhere, we want to see those photographs. Be creative! We will be reasonably all-inclusive as to what can be considered a pet, but please, no pet rocks.
Timeline for this Contest:
- Entries due – June 30
- Judging complete – July 30
- Winners announced ~ August 31
We’re looking forward to another great group of photographs to judge for the 2020 Contest!
NC 4-H Photography Contest pictures will be electronically displayed through NC 4-H social media/website – during National 4-H Week
For more information: