Get Through the Holidays Stainlessly
The holidays are the time of year when we are at most risk for getting a troublesome stain. Keep in mind the quicker we take care of the stain the more likely we are to successfully get rid of it. Also, air dry items until you have removed as much as you can of the stain. Here are some tips for the most common holiday stains.
- Wine: Rinse in cold water to dilute stain. Soak up to 20 minutes in detergent, weighed with a towel to keep submerged. Launder in hottest water safe for fabric and color. Air-dry and repeat if necessary. On carpets
- Mix one teaspoon of a mild detergent containing no alkali or bleaches with one cup of lukewarm water. Blot the stained area.
- Mix one-third cup of white vinegar with two-thirds cup of water. Blot.
- Repeat step one.
- Sponge the stained area with clean water. Blot.
- Lipstick: To remove lipstick, scrape fabric stain with a dull knife. Use a dry-cleaning solvent or pretreat with detergent or stain treatment. Wash in warm water. Air dry to ensure all of stain is removed.
- Chocolate: Pretreat with a liquid detergent or soak fabric in warm water using a detergent containing enzymes. Difficult stains may require using a bleach safe for the garment.
- Candle Drippings: Scrape off excess wax with a dull knife. Place stain between paper towels. Press with a warm iron from back of fabric. Then, place stain face down on clean paper towels and sponge with a dry-cleaning solvent. Air-dry and launder again using bleach according to fabric instructions.
For more information on other stains see these resources.