Preparing for the Challenges of Losing Weight: Are You Ready?
Losing weight is one of the top New Year’s Resolutions. After the abundance of the holiday season many of us are gearing up to pay more attention to what we are eating and become more physically active. Because of New Year’s resolutions to lose weight and have healthier lifestyles, January is the busiest time at the gym. If you are planning to lose weight in 2010, check in with yourself to see if you are ready or if you may have some challenges that will make it harder to lose the weight you want and keep it off.
- Is your life stressful right now or do you have distractions and other commitments that will make it hard to plan the time to be physically active or plan your meals?
- Are you ready to make long-term lifestyle changes that include eating appropriate portion sizes, decreasing high calorie drinks and foods and being physically active on a regular basis?
- Do you truly believe that slower is better? – The slower the weight loss the more likely it is that you will keep the weight off for the long term.
- Are you realistic about your weight loss goals? Losing 2 to 8 pounds per week is usually attainable as well as a sign that you are losing the unhealthy fat weight.
- Do you really believe you can change your eating and physical activity habits and have support from family and friends?
- Are you ready to keep track of what you eat and your physical activity? Those who do keep records or journals are more successful.
Go to Eat Smart Move More NC for more tips on eating healthy and getting more physical activity. If you do want to take classes or more information on losing weight call Cooperative Extension at (828) 255-5522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also checkout other resources for being physically active or eating healthy at Healthy Buncombe.